Bedouin Dress

Picture 243
Picture 230
Picture 233
Picture 248
Picture 253
Picture 251
Shoes: Sam Edelman Gigi - Size 9
Necklace: Anthropologie

"In the street one day I saw you among the crowd in a geometric pattern dress, gleaming white just as I recall. Old as I get I will never forget it at all." - Fleet Foxes

I've admired the Ikat Frequencies Shirtdress online and on other bloggers for awhile now. I've been trying to be good about buying new things, so it's just been hanging out in my wish list. Last week, I decided I was going to treat myself and finally purchase it. However, before I pulled the trigger I decided to browse Anthro's website one more time. I found the little number I'm wearing in today's post hiding out in the lounge section. It just seemed more "me" than the Ikat Frequencies, and it cost a little less too. I wore it last week for "casual Friday" at work, and I'm not going to lie, it felt really good to have something new on again.

I wish I didn't feel this way. I wish putting on a new dress didn't make me feel so damn happy and confident in myself. I want to be satisfied with what I already have and not keep seeking the high I get from something new. It's hard, though. The monotony and dullness of daily life gets me down, and it seems like the acquiring of new items is one of the few things that makes me feel alive again. I hate that I'm this way, because I know I'm setting myself up for a miserable existence. Material things don't last. They lose their appeal as soon as you acquire them and then you have to go looking for the next thing. It's a vicious cycle that never brings true peace and happiness.

I was looking through some old photos of my kids on my computer yesterday, and I stumbled across a video. There was my sweet little son, my oldest who will be 11 in November, dancing up a storm in his pajamas. He was 3 years old, just a toddler. Next to him, watching his every move, was my other son, a tiny little baby crawling around on the floor. As I watched it, I felt such love and longing, longing to go back to that time when my babies were so sweet and innocent and life seemed so much easier. When I thought about it, though, life wasn't easier then. It just seems so in retrospect. In fact, everything seems better in retrospect. We tend to forget about the bad and remember the good when it comes to our past. Why can't we do this in the present? I think that's the key to living a happy and fulfilling life - to live in the moment, to not dwell in the past or look to future circumstances to make us happy, to be content with the here and now, and to find beauty in the everyday.

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.


- W.B. Yeats

Fleet Foxes - Bedouin Dress

CONVERSATION

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I think this dress looks awesome on you. I could totally relate to what you said about getting something new and feeling happy. For me it's beauty products. Makes me wish something like jogging or exercising would make me feel that way instead of $$$ makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I am frugal in most areas of my life, but I overspend on clothes. I could go a very long time without having a true need for anything, but I keep buying anyway. Love your new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to sound totally bitchy, but it's not meant to be: maybe you should discuss your lack of contentment with a counselor. You understand your issue with new clothes, maybe you need help to work through it. I say this as someone who is at the end of paying off some serious consumer credit card debt racked up trying to get that "new clothes high."

    BTW--I love this--I am totally going to snag the chemise. I work in a more conservative environment, but I think it could work for me with a cardigan or jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Bonnie, I think most of us like you. I had so many sale things at Anthro this week that I knew I simply can't buy everything so instead of buying even one thing I let some dresses and skirts to be "sold out". I know I'll be kicking myself very soon for not buying that Lil blue dress but I also know I'm not going to wear as much as I should even I really-really want it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://touch.thebillfold.com/thebillfold/#!/entry/lets-discuss-the-merits-of-anthropologie-the-clothing-store-not,502161d07af68a84dc6e1f2b/1
    Have you seen this article?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The monotony and dullness of daily life gets me down, and it seems like the acquiring of new items is one of the few things that makes me feel alive again."

    Gurl, this sounds exactly like what happened with your ex and Jerry. Maybe you're stuck in this vicious cycle in every aspect of your life, and in the future this way of thinking may cause you to feel bored with Jerry because he won't be new anymore? I agree with Kate, maybe you should talk to someone about it so you can find happiness in everyday, normal things? Not trying to be mean, srsly, I'm a GOMI gal who has converted to team Bonnie. I really feel that true happiness comes from the small things in life, like a delicious cocktail or fantastic meal shared with my love or a great sunset or petting my dog. You deserve to have that kind of happiness, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not saying this to be harsh or critical, but it really does sound like you might have a shopping addiction. Have you thought about seeking professional help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you Yolanda,
    I hope you're wrong, but should keep an open mind to the possibility that I'm a symptom. We share something special. I love her dearly and she says she feels the same about me. What's more she shows it. On a brighter note she seems to be coming out of her funk. We all have rough spots, this could be just that. Although should she grow weary of me, I hope she'll move on and find something that satisfies. I have already found that thing, but wouldn't/couldn't stand in her way if she decided on a newer purchase of sorts. I love Bonnie. Come what may I always will. I'm definitely not against her talking to someone.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top