Returns and Reviews

I went to a concert in Raleigh last week, and while I was in the area, I just happened to stop by my favorite store. I also just happened to have some online returns and a 15% birthday discount card in tow. I snapped some pictures for fitting room reviews while I was there, but before we get to them, I thought I would review the items I returned even though I don't have pictures of me actually wearing those items.
 
Cinched Indio Dress ($258)  This dress was on my wish list for over a month before I pulled the trigger. I love me some Plenty by Tracy Reese, and a Tracy Reese dress with boho details was pretty much irresistible, but the price was killing me. I finally broke down and bought it a few weeks ago. Luckily for my pocketbook, I was disappointed with it once I got it. Maybe I just looked at it too much online before I bought it and got sick of it (I need to do that more often if so), but it just didn't wow me. Also, the material was extremely see through. Yes, there was a half-slip, but not the kind of half-slip you're thinking of. The top portion of the dress is lined with a built in cami, but the bottom is not lined at all. WTF? This is a nearly $300 dress and you could clearly see my panties through it. Unexceptable. Back it went.

Beaded Kerala Kaftan ($98)  When I first saw it, I pictured myself wearing this cute little dress/tunic/kaftan while shaking my booty at a outdoor concert this Summer. I was pretty pissed about the sizing on this one, though. It comes in 2 sizes XS/S and M/L. I mean, I know to some people it just looks like a big 'ole sack anyway, but I HATE sizing like this. I ended up going with the M/L, and it was way too big. The shoulders were almost falling off, and there was way too much material everywhere. Speaking of the material, I wasn't a big fan. It felt heavier than I had imagined it, making the dress not as comfortable as I thought it would be. As far as the length, it was short but not uncomfortably so. I wouldn't wear it to work, but for a casual outing like a concert it would be just fine. Despite all my issues with it, I'm still contemplating ordering this is the XS/S. It's just so darn cute!     

Saha Swim Yuma Bikini ($136)  Anthro had a swimsuit promotion a few weeks ago, so I decided to give this super hot bikini a try. I know, I know, it's a bikini, but it's exactly the kind of bikini I've been looking for - a high waisted one in a pretty tribal print. As a bonus, it's reversable! I was so excited to try it on, but unfortunately, it didn't work out. I ordered both the top and bottom in a large. The bottom fit pretty good and covered my mummy tummy, but the top just wasn't large or supportive enough to contain the girls. I used to wear triangle top bikinis when I was younger all the time, but I keep forgetting I'm not in my twenties anymore. Sigh. 
 
 
As you can see, I had some pretty high dollar returns to make in addition to my 15% off birthday month discount, so I was anxious to get my grubby little hands on some new merchandise. Naturally, it was a bad day in the dressing room, and I hated almost everything I tried on. In fact, towards the end I stopped taking pictures because I was hot, sweaty, and pissed off. There was one item I liked towards the end, though, so I'm including it in the reviews with the catalog shot. The others? Well, I just want to forget about them. 


Marbella Midi Dress ($128)   I loved this dress on the hanger, but once I got it on I felt like it was too costumey. Indian Princess was the first thing Jerry blurted out, although he was really digging it. I, on the other hand, was not. I was shocked that I didn't like this one because it seemed right up my alley style-wise. Could it be that my style is becoming a little less boho? Watch out...you might see me in crisp white blouses, tailored pants, and structured jackets before too long. I tried on a size 8 and the fit was good. There's no doubt this is a really cute dress, but I felt it was a little over the top for my "evolving" taste. Pass. 


Janie Jersey Dress ($118)  I was happy to see this dress in the store, because it was at the top of my wish list. It's such a comfortable, easy dress for Summer. When viewing it online I was torn between the red motif and the blue motif. Luckily, they had both motifs in the store. I tried on a size medium in both, and the fit was consistent and good on both. In person, the blue motif was the clear winner. It felt like it was missing something, though. I tried adding a belt with it, but none of the ones I tried really worked. I ended up finding a necklace at checkout that jazzed it up a bit, though. As of right now, the plan is to wear it with the necklace and without a belt. Purchased. 

Split Image Top ($58)  I just knew this top was going to be a winner. It's your basic v-neck, lightweight knit top in a cute pattern, so what could possibly go wrong? The girls strike again. This top was way more low cut than it appeared to be on the hanger. I tried on a medium, and my boobs were pretty much hanging out of it. I guess I could put a cami underneath it, but during the Summer I really don't like to layer. It's too bad, because it's a great price for such a pretty top. Pass. 

Terra Ikat Blouse ($128)  This blouse caught my eye while I was walking around the store, but I decided to pass on it. However, I ended up coming back to it before I went in the fitting room, had a change of heart, and gave it a try. I'm so glad I did. I LOVE this blouse! This is a size 8, and it fit beautifully. The print is gorgeous, and the material is so comfortable. The only negative is the price, but I decided to go for it anyway since I had my birthday discount to apply to it. Can't wait to wear it this Summer! Purchased.

Tarana Maxi Dress ($168)  Last but not least is this colorful maxi dress. I started out with a size 8, but I couldn't zip it up past my chest. Not even close. This dress has a side zip and a cheap one at that. Making matters worse was that is runs extremely small in the chest area. Yep, you guessed it, it's those darn meddling girls again. I went up to a 10, and I could zip it all the way up this time, but I couldn't really breath. I wasn't going gently into that dark night, though. I had a birthday discount and money to burn. I went up a size yet again to a 12, and it finally fit comfortably through the chest. The only problem was going up 2 sizes made the dress way too long on me. This is a easy, breezy dress that I want to wear with flats, so I decided the best course of action was to order a 12 Petite online and see how that works for me. Eagerly awaiting shipment.

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. You were in Raleigh? Odd. I was watching the TV I believe it was...yeah...it was last Friday late and know what? Andy had to go up there too! Listen, I know it's too late for this trip but if you happen to look out the Anthro store window one day while you're in there up in Raleigh? And you see him? (He wears a khaki sheriff's uniform with one pant leg outside his boot? No gun and no hat.) Would you tell him for me two things? One: don't leave Mayberry as things go terribly long when that little skinny guy is left in charge and, two, to please please turn up the colors a little bit on their end? It's all washed out on my end and all you can see is shades of gray. Oh, and three, heidy to Otis. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How'd the maxi dress work out? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top