Hamatreya

Picture 9


Picture 21


Picture 7


Picture 15


Picture 20

Top: Anthropologie Cape Tee

Skirt: Anthropologie Hamatreya Skirt

Belt: Anthropologie Palisades Belt

Shoes: Urban Outfitters

"Tomorrow's just an excuse away, so I pull my collar up and face the cold on my own. The earth laughs beneath my heavy feet." - Smashing Pumpkins

I was so excited when this skirt went on sale since it's been on my wishlist for awhile. I love the fit of it and the vibrant print. I became curious about it's name, the Hamatreya Skirt, so I decided to consult almighty Google. I discovered that Hamatreya is a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson. From what I can gather, it's about men and their possession over the Earth. In the poem, the earth laughs at men and their egotistical blindness of mortality. The men live their lives thinking they possess the earth, but in the end the earth possesses them. Not sure how the peeps at Anthro connected this poem with this skirt. It's a pretty morbid story for a skirt that looks so cheery. Maybe they focused in on the line "the earth laughs in flowers." Way to rub in your immortality, Earth! I'll never look at flowers the same way again...thanks a lot Anthro!

"Earth laughs in flowers, to see her boastful boys earth-proud, proud of the earth which is not theirs; who steer the plough, but cannot steer their feet clear of the grave." - Ralph Waldo Emerson




CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Anthro and their strange sense of humor. Why name a very expensive dress after an impoverished City in Colombia? The Mompos indeed!

    The skirt is devine. I've seen it on a few Bloggers. I love how you mixed prints with the belt. And those shoes Bonnie. I love those UO shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Laura said! I love the idea of the earth laughing in flowers... I am going to think of it that way. I won't read the poem, though, cuz I don't wanna ruin it for myself! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top