Artistic Soul

"She knows she's just a little misunderstood." - Counting Crows

"I wore black because I liked it. I still do, and wearing it still means something to me. It's still my symbol of rebellion - against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas." — Johnny Cash

I get asked alot why I don't smile in the pictures I put on here. There are many different reasons. First of all, the type of pictures I put on here with the interesting backgrounds and such are suppose to be my representation of catalog shots. I've always enjoyed looking through the Anthropologie catalog, even way back when I was in high school. I love all the thought and artistry that goes into each picture. It's really fun to come up with these ideas for photo shoots and see them come to fruition. The models in Anthro's catalog very rarely smile. I think that's essential in trying to convey a moment caught in time. It looks more setup to me when I pose and smile for the camera. Secondly, I've never really smiled much with teeth in pictures in general. I've always felt people looked more natural with a slight smile on their face instead of a toothy grin. If you notice, people never smiled in old pictures back in the day. I prefer those. They seem more geniune to me. Lastly, it's a little bit of rebellion on my part. I know you all really like the toothy smiles, so I don't do them. Sorry! LOL! I'm sure I would have alot more readers if I smiled more in my pictures, but I wouldn't feel like myself, so I refuse to smile to satisfy the masses.

I feel I have an artist's soul without any real talent to express it. My style, this blog, and my pictures are my attempt to express myself artistically. Most people don't seem to get this. They think it's my attempt to express myself narcissitically. Honestly, I have a lot of insecurities. I got picked on horribly growing up and have always had self-esteem issues. I'm loving my 30's, because I think I look better than I ever have, and I feel comfortable in my own skin. You can't win in society anyway. They walk all over you if you have low self-esteem, but they think bad of you if you like yourself. That's why going forward I'm going to do my best to not care what other people think. I've put way too much importance on that in the past and have not truly lived my life the way I want because of it. I'm going to let my artist's soul fly, and I might even let out a genuine toothy grin every once in awhile.

Today's song is "Round Here" by Counting Crows. I liked this meaning: "We try to hide our true selves to seem normal and popular. Why be normal and popular? We all have expectations of how to live our lives placed on us by other people. It just makes more sense to live life for ourselves. All in all, we are all a little misunderstood and confused."

Counting Crows - Round Here (accoustic)

Powered by mp3skull.com

Picture 3


Picture 6


Picture 7


Picture 9


Picture 16


Picture 11


Picture 10


Picture 14
Top: Anthropologie


Jeans: Pilcro Straight Leg Jeans


Shoes: KensieGirl Neyelle


Necklace and Ring: The Limited

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. Pooh on the naysayers! An artist is an artist because he/she puts him/herself out there. I am a writer and I understand how it feels to be criticized for what you publish. It does come with the territory, but you just have to stay strong and true to yourself (That seems to be what you are trying to do anyway and I wish you luck.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, let me set you straight here. I have an art degree and I paint...but I get the same satisfaction, joy, and expressiveness in painting as I do organizing my shoes or decorating my house or dressing myself. Why do you think you have no real talent to express it? Art is an unspoken language, a way to communicate what's in your soul, through any medium. You don't have to wear a beret and hold a paintbrush to fit the mold. I'd say you're an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider blogging to be an art form because it's constantly innovating. I used to be 'an artist' with canvas and paint brush but my kids are quite young and I can't create the same way I did before I had kids. Blogging really gives me that sense of self expression and creating that I had with painting and drawing.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top